• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your first video....

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Inspired by Dan's music thread....

Admit it....what was the first music video you saw back in the 80's (or perhaps the 70's)?

Mine was "Centerfold" by J. Geils Band. Saw it in between movies one afternoon on HBO (prior to the advent of MTV).

Jeff

Cyburbian
Money for nothing and the chicks for free. I remember the day we first got cable. I laid on the couch all day and watched MTV.

biscuit

Cyburbian
We didn't have cable growing up in the boonies so our only chance to watch music videos was on Friday Night Videos which came on NBC at like 12:30 or something like that. The first one I remember seeing on that show was Roxanne by The Police. Classic

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I think it was "Pressue" by Billy Joel. I still love that song but haven't seen the video in years.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I honestly can't remember...we didn't have cable and had to rely on CBC's "Video Hits" which was on most days after school. The only video I distinctly remember from that show was Julian Lennon's "Too Late for Goodbyes".

H

Cyburbian
Pretty sure it was 'Billy Jean' by Michael Jackson.

Ps. Went to the 'Thriller' tour, as well. I was in 5th grade. Went with my friends parents. 4th row!!

I was also MJ in the talent show that year as the class performed 'We Are the World'.

It is too bad it is just went sooooooo crazy.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Anybody remember USA's "Night Flight" where they would show B-Movies, videos, and short films?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Can't remember exactly but is was on the tv show Saturday Night Rocks with Chris Edmunds and Pam McManus from a local radion station KDWB 101. There was Loverboy, Greg Kihn, The Suburbs, Judas Priest, Elton John, Golden Earring, Fastway, ZZ Top, Duran Duran, Bonnie Raitt, Tom Petty, Def Leppard, Michael Bolton (the song Fool's Game -when he did rock), Men at Work, Stray Cats, Billy Idol, Rainbow, Krokus, Quiet Riot...I could go on....

RichmondJake said:
"Video killed the radio star" Boomtown Rats.
Didn't the Buggles do that song? It was the first video played on MTV as well.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The first ones I remember seeing are Blue Oyster Cult's "Dont Kill The Reaper" and Pat Benatar's "Running with the shadows of the night"

donk

Cyburbian
I remember Toronto Rocks, on from 4:00-4:30 on CityTV. The school bus would drop us off at 4:15 and we'd run into watch the last 15 minutes of the show. Here is the really weird thing, the host was JD Roberts, now John Roberts of the news.

As for my first video, the ones I remebr most are Duran Duran videos, but i know I saw others before them.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Chet said:
The first ones I remember seeing are Blue Oyster Cult's "Dont Kill The Reaper" and Pat Benatar's "Running with the shadows of the night"
Chet, that would be "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Shadows of the Night". Just a minor correction. SNL had a great skit about Don't Fear the Reaper with Will Ferrell playing the cowbell.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
Anybody remember USA's "Night Flight" where they would show B-Movies, videos, and short films?
Night Flight was sweet !!! I remember seeing Krokus, WASP, Crue, Accept, Dokken, Keel, Dio, Twisted Sister, Megadeth, Sabbath, Maiden and Judas Priest on Night Flight.

Hey, REPO remember "The Right to Rock" by Keel, "Balls to the Wall" - Accept, "Holy Diver" - Dio. Wow, this brings back some late night adolescent memories. How sweet they are.

"Paranoia" - Black Sabbath
"Looks that Kill" - Motley Crue
"Run to the Hills" - Iron Maiden
"Unchained" - Van Halen
"Lick it up" - Kiss

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
I Love L.A.!

My 1st video was Randy Newman's "I Love L.A." - with splendid shots of him and a blonde in a big old Buick convertible blasting down Century Boulevard....some good, sardonic, urban eye-candy!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I used to love staying up on Saturday night for Headbangers Ball. That show was so awesome. It was the only time you could catch Iron Maiden videos anywhere.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
Hello, did no one else love the Rick Astley video?!? ;)
Um....no.

NHPlanner said:

Mine was "Centerfold" by J. Geils Band. Saw it in between movies one afternoon on HBO (prior to the advent of MTV).
That song brings back some wonderful memories of 5th grade, about he same time girls became more than just someone to tackle while playing football at recess.

El Feo

Cyburbian
"Video Killed the Radio Star" for me, too - watched MTV with friends on day one. And yeah, it was the Buggles.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Chet, that would be "Don't Fear the Reaper" and "Shadows of the Night". Just a minor correction. SNL had a great skit about Don't Fear the Reaper with Will Ferrell playing the cowbell.
I'm old. I stand corrected.

*goes and sits in corner playing Flock of Seagulls*

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
Technically, the bands name was "A Flock of Seagulls" ;)
Technically, I'd bitch slap the both of ya if I could! :)

Mama's Fallen Angel, by Poison, I think. I was at the optometrists having my pupils dilated in eighth grade. We didn't have cable, and Friday Night Videos was on way too late, so I only caught videos at the occasional slumber party. My second video, at Rochelle's Rusczyk's 13th birthday party, was Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer. Ah, 80s hair bands.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I was in Whitewater Wisconsin to see a drum corps show back in 1982. I stayed at a friend's mom's house and they had just got cable, where I saw MTV for the first time. MTV couldn't have been more than a few months old at the time. The first ones I saw were "Oliver's Army" by Elvis Costello, some Robert Palmer video with a dancing plastic skeleton being dangled in front of a telephone (this was well before the live mannequin band videos) and a concert video by Billy Idol. Great stuff.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
One of the first video's I remember watching was Dead or Alive "You Spin Me Round", and also Devo "Whip It".

My parents got cable as soon as it was available, but of course we only had one console tv, and my sister and I were stuck watching Star Trek, Murder She Wrote, and The Waltons.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
We got cable pretty early in Muncie, IN. In 1981, we had your basic cable stations, including MTV.

I remember "Video Killed the Radio Star", but I think the first I saw was for a song called "Pop Music". I don't remember the artist, but I still remember this:

"New York, Paris, London, Munich,
everybody's talkin' bout mm-pop music!"

nerudite

Cyburbian
"I Want Candy" Bow Wow Wow. I think I was at a friend's house and she was watching some local video show in L.A. We didn't have mtv yet at my house... so I thought it was pretty cool.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles. I saw the launching of MTV; the very first moments of the channel. The cable systen we had in Buffalo was one of the first in the country to carry MTV.

MTV was so damn cool before the Michael Jackson lawsuit.

Another woman of my dreams. Yup, Martha Quinn.

Okay, one more. Tabitha Soren.

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
I can't think who sings it, but the video begins in a desert, there is a tent or something with REALLY dusty instruments in it and the band dusts them off and plays. ZZ top? I remember beards.
I remember sitting with my dad on the couch watching MTV in the old days. ;) The astronaut with the MTV flag....good stuff. WTF happened to MTV?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I had a Martha Quinn crush too, but she was second seat to Mary Lou Retton!

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
I remember "Video Killed the Radio Star", but I think the first I saw was for a song called "Pop Music". I don't remember the artist, but I still remember this:

"New York, Paris, London, Munich,
everybody's talkin' bout mm-pop music!"
I think the band/artist was called M. One-hit wonder.

Re: Martha Quinn and Tabitha Soren: Whatever happened to them?? Is Kurt Loder still on MTV? I'm too old for MTV now - maybe even too old for VH1.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SlaveToTheGrind said:
Chet, you just don't seem to have it today. What's up?
I am now on my fourth day / night of total insomnia. This sucks.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
I can't think who sings it, but the video begins in a desert, there is a tent or something with REALLY dusty instruments in it and the band dusts them off and plays. ZZ top? I remember beards.
I remember sitting with my dad on the couch watching MTV in the old days. ;) The astronaut with the MTV flag....good stuff. WTF happened to MTV?
Jessie, you are probably thinking of Tom Petty's "You Got Lucky" which came out in 1982.

carlomarx

Cyburbian
Combination of being part of the younger set and having anti-cable parents--

Nothin But a 'G' Thing -- Snoop and the good doctor

Jen

Cyburbian
Hot GRITS is back

How are you doing Planderella :) Are ya billing the office for the cyburbia "research"? lol

I too was tuned in to the first weeks of MTV, was 17 ish visiting my big sis in a colorado ski town at her studio apt above the old postoffice. First time I saw snow too!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles. I saw the launching of MTV; the very first moments of the channel. The cable systen we had in Buffalo was one of the first in the country to carry MTV.
BUFFALO ON THE CUTTING EDGE OF SOMETHING? (Rodney Dangerfield may never have gotten any respect and neither has Buffalo. In fairness, that was posted before Dan had fully developed his trademark "Buffalo is so behind the times....." schtick. Kinda like seeing old video footage with Teller talking during a magic act)

On topic, the first video (not counting Beatles movies which were simply hour-long videos) on MTV that I saw was 'Masquerade' by Berlin (you know, the group that later had that 'Take my breath away' hit from the movie Top Gun.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Wikipedia has the list of the first 62 videos played on MTV. I can remember a lot of the videos (and songs!)
Wow, I just looked at that list and see that #62 is 'Cruel to be kind' by Nick Lowe. I didn't realize that was the same Nick Lowe as the Nick Lowe & his Cowboy Outfit that did "I knew the bride when she used to Rock & Roll". Not sure why I never made the connection.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I was born after MTV started, so I don't remember what my first video was. Additionally, my parents went on an anti-cable kick shortly after I was born in the late 80s, but got it again in the early 90s sometime. I remember growing up on MTV in the early 90s when I was little. Anything from "Crazy" by Aerosmith to "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana.