• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your Kitchen Equipment

Maister

Chairman of the bored
I recall boasting 20 years ago that when it came to kitchen equipment we did not have a lot of equipment, but what we had was good quality. This past weekend I was searching for a large baking dish and counted 8 baking dishes of various sizes and makers, then I looked at our pots and pans and realized I had five different non-stick pans of various sizes and various states of repair, then I looked at our TWO knife blocks and noticed the rivet handles on three of the knives are getting loose.....it dawned on me that we've now got an abundant mish mash of some rather mediocre cooking equipment in our kitchen.

I think a major purge is in order.

What kitchen equipment is indispensable at your place?
1551724537005.png 1551724652343.png 1551724681271.png

DVD

Cyburbian
Kitchen Aid mixer - A must have and good quality.
Cast iron pan - not hard to get good quality there
You need 3 skillets - small, medium, and OMG sauce pan size. Good quality and not the Walmart crap keeps you from getting mixed up styles.
Same goes with pots. Except you may or may not need a giant freakin soup pot.
Gotta have a cast iron dutch oven in our house. We use that more than the soup pot.
You need a good casserole dish
And the obligatory cookie sheets, cakes pans, etc.
The list goes on forever.

kjel

Super Moderator
Stainless 10" sautee pan
Stainless 12" straight side pan "chicken fryer"
8" square cast iron grill pan
Medium sauce pan
Large pot for boiling pasta, soup, stews
Nonstick frying pan for eggs, pancakes, french toast (don't spend more than $20 as they need to be replaced every few years)
1/4 sheet pan and 1/2 sheet pan for cookies and roasting (mine are Nordicware purchased at Costco, adding a silicone mat or parchment makes them all purpose)
Medium and large caserole dishes
Stainless steel mixing bowls in at least 3 sizes
I bought this Cuisinart 6pc knife set last year and it's fantastic for the price; well balanced, unibody, dishwasher safe, stays sharp.
Keep it simple, buy quality pieces that multitask.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
We've got a set of three cast iron pans (and a Dutch oven) that we (used to) use for camping. Thing is, we more or less had to stop camping after Mrs. Maister was diagnosed as diabetic (keeping insulin refrigerated at a constant temp is problematic while camping). The cast iron has sat unused in a large gym bag for several years. I've been watching a lot of Cowboy Cook, Kent Collins videos on YouTube lately and have been contemplating busting out our cast iron once again, but instead of camping use for every day use. The key with cast iron, as I understand it, is to make sure it always stays well-seasoned. There's no reason a decent set of cast iron can't last one's entire lifetime...and their children's lifetime too!

DVD

Cyburbian
Cast iron can last forever. You do have to keep it seasoned, but that's not hard. a little oil rub once in a while. It's great for cooking steak. Almost as good as grilling. We use it to cook up naan or other flatbread. So many more uses out there, but you can find them on your cowboy days.

Can't forget a good roasting pan. Gotta have one of those to cook up the turducken.

Planit

Cyburbian
From what I can see, we have an adequate amount including cast iron, some high-end pieces (dutch oven & skillet), non-stick & ...

kms

Cyburbian
I have about the same things as everyone else here. My go to utensil is kitchen shears. I can cut up a chicken with them, open bottles with the handle and cut open packages.

I have quite a bit of cast iron, non-enamel. It’s versatile, and can go from stovetop to oven or straight on the grille. I’ve made deep dish pizzas in the skillets.

kjel

Super Moderator
We've got a set of three cast iron pans (and a Dutch oven) that we (used to) use for camping. Thing is, we more or less had to stop camping after Mrs. Maister was diagnosed as diabetic (keeping insulin refrigerated at a constant temp is problematic while camping). The cast iron has sat unused in a large gym bag for several years. I've been watching a lot of Cowboy Cook, Kent Collins videos on YouTube lately and have been contemplating busting out our cast iron once again, but instead of camping use for every day use. The key with cast iron, as I understand it, is to make sure it always stays well-seasoned. There's no reason a decent set of cast iron can't last one's entire lifetime...and their children's lifetime too!
Unrelated to cooking utensils....

But Frio pouches are the shiznit for keeping insulin cool. Water activated and cools by evaporation, used successfully in the Caribbean and festival camping :) https://www.frioinsulincoolingcase.com/

Reactions: kms

Gedunker

Moderating
When I left the house in the course of my divorce, I took from the kitchen one wine glass (I have my priorities, thank you very much), two steak knives, two butter knives, two forks, and two spoons. Today, I have, for a bachelor, a fairly well appointed kitchen thank you very much. Aside from an aebleskiver pan my sister gave me before the divorce, I've acquired all of it myself.:)

I do have a cast iron pan, but find it difficult to use on my electric stove. I think I struggle to gauge how much heat the stove is getting and next thing I know, the kitchen is smoke-filled. If money were no object, I would replace my electric stove with gas in a flash.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I recall boasting 20 years ago that when it came to kitchen equipment we did not have a lot of equipment, but what we had was good quality. This past weekend I was searching for a large baking dish and counted 8 baking dishes of various sizes and makers, then I looked at our pots and pans and realized I had five different non-stick pans of various sizes and various states of repair, then I looked at our TWO knife blocks and noticed the rivet handles on three of the knives are getting loose.....it dawned on me that we've now got an abundant mish mash of some rather mediocre cooking equipment in our kitchen.

I think a major purge is in order.

What kitchen equipment is indispensable at your place?
View attachment 6066 View attachment 6067 View attachment 6068
I have my grandmother's cast iron frying pan from the 1930's, which I use almost daily. With a kitchen remodel in progress, I replaced almost all of my glassware. Too many were broken over the last 15-20 years.

AlyssaN

I recently upgraded to a Kitchen Aid mixer and understand that cult now. Fwiw, my former mixer was my grandmother's from what I think was the 1950s (she only used it once a year).

This week I got some new Farberware cookie sheets (thanks unused airline miles) and have been pretty happy with them.

Attachments

Maister

Chairman of the bored
We have a Kitchen Aid mixer that my mother gave to us before she passed. It's harvest gold, and I believe originates from the era you'd associate with that color. Anywho, this is one sturdy well-made mixer. Looking online, it appears these mixers routinely go for around $300-400 these days.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Yes - love our kitchen aid mixer and I use it often - we even have the meat grinder attachment as often steak is cheaper than ground beef here which is crazy - that is very cool you have one handed down, love that

Some of the things I took from my Moms kitchen were the heavier cake pans, brownie pans, strainer, and mixing bowls, and, thicker glass cooking dishes all of which are expensive at williams sonoma and the like - and I love having her bean pot

I do have a few cooking stoneware things from Pampered Chef that I use alot and really like

Cast iron cookware is a must too - we don't use non stick as cast iron cleans up fine

I think investing in good knives is key like Henkels as well as a few gadgets like a self cleaning garlic press, a good meat thermometer (not electronic) is a good thing to do

We go through coffee makers about once a year - had a toaster for almost 30 years before it crapped out finally

Hand mixers last about 30 days so we just use the kitchen aid

I do use an electric can opener though I have mastered the Pampered Chef one we have, and we embarrassingly use an electric citrus squeezer/juicer thing