• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your magazines

So I really think that a person's magazine subscriptions say a bit about them, so what are yours?

Mine:
Home and Garden
Jane
Shape
Natural Health
Family Circle Easy Knitting

And I LOVE Entertainment Weekly, they have it at my doctor's office!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Oh man...this is gonna take a while but here goes...

Phila Daily News (newspaper)
Maxim
Fire Engineering
Firehouse
Journal of Emergency Medical Services
Cycle Sport
Velo News
Bike
Bicycling
Mountain Bike
Runners World
Inside Triathalon
Soldier of Fortune
American Rifleman
Marine Corps Times

...I think that's it.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Subscribe to:

Toronto Life

Read, most months/issues:

Model Railroader
The Economist
New Yorker
Granta

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I have to get subscriptions going instead of buying over-the-counter. Right now, periodicals floating around the house include ...

Planning
Car and Driver
Automobile
PC World
Maximum PC
Maxim
Utne Reader

I enjoyed Metropolis far more in the past, when the focus was mainly on architecture and planning.

On occasion, I'll buy one of the British car mags, like Car or Top Gear. I used to read This Old House and American Bungalow when I lived in Denver, mainly because I used to reside in an old bungalow.

I want to know who the #c$k reads Hydrate. C'mon, it's a magazine about drinking water, for cryin' out loud! Also, if I'm at a date's house, and I see a copy of Cat Fancy or Oprah floating around, my instinct is to run from the place as fast as I can.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I guess I'm another long-lister:

Backpacker
Canoe & Kayak
Fine Homebuilding
Landscape Architect
National Geographic
National Parks
Outdoor Photographer
Outside
Popular Photography

and then there are the work-related magazines:

Area Development
Corporate Report Wisconsin
Economic Development Journal
Economic Perspectives
Expansion Management
Municipality
Planning
Shopping Center World
Urban Land

.. and a handful more I seldom read and can't remember.

jestes

Cyburbian
National Geographic
Readers Digest
Yahoo Internet Life

Work Related:
Planning
American City and County
Waste Age
Public Works
Stormwater
Governing

Jen

Cyburbian
can I read over your shoulder?

I really subscribe to one "magazine" that I am going to let expire once and for all:Kiplingers Personal Finance.
Oh that and Family Fun which Im getting tired of. For some reason we are getting Parenting mag FREE I wish they would stop sending it.

We also get Smithsonian here and the girls get Ladybug. SOon thanks to a holiday gift from the SIL we're getting TWO magazines from National Wildlife Federation ::rollseyes::

The
GR press is delivered daily.

Still with the limited amount of paid subrcriptions my mail box is loaded with catalogs flyers remortagage offers, calendars and a barrage of stuff that goes directly in the paper bin in the garage.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Newsweek
Planning (not by choice)
Computer Shopper
PC Magazine
Sports Illustrated
GQ (I am done when this sub. is over. I can't stand the magazine. There are 3-4 great artcles and 100 pages of pretty boy dorks dressed in over-priced, ugly clothes that no self-respecting male would ever consider purchasing.)
Wisconsin Trails (a Wisconsin themed travel/history/nature magazine)
Milwaukee Magazine
The Big Takeover (a huge indie/punk/alternative music magazine that comes out quarterly)

I usually try 1-2 new subs. each year also.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Here is my list:

Playboy
Iowa Fish and Game
Men's Health
PC Mag

BKM

Cyburbian
My magazine reading

Dwell (I know I'm a Yuppie Scum-but I like the non-doctrinaire modernist architecture they focus on)
Abitare, Architecture, Architectural Record, and Architectural Review, Landscape Architecture, and Domus (not through subscription, but read religiously at the local library-I mean, that would be $600/year)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Planning - most expensive and least enjoyed
Consumer Reports - best money spent no question
Volvo - the quarterly magazine of Swedish propaganda
The ipd Catalog (Volvo parts)- not a magazine, but it gives me much joy.
American Rifleman - Duh.

I used to publish the online zine - Chicks and Ammo (think the NRA meets Ted Nugent without the inner filter saying "don't write that.") But then I got married and we came to a compromise. I lost. The domain name is back on the market.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
subscribe to:
Newsweek
National Geographic
Planning
Kiplingers
Road & Track
Jp (a Jeep magazine, they just can't use the trademarked 'Jeep' in the title)
American Rifleman
MacWorld

regularly read:
Smithsonian
SKI
Powder
Field & Stream

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Sadly...

I only get magazines at work, such as Planning... Wastewater Digest... Stormwater Management... Rural Water... Rock & Dirt... with one notable exception.

My parents always give my address to Billy Graham, and Decision Magazine always makes it to my P.O. box. It takes about 2.4 seconds (All you Baptists close your ears) to go from my mailbox to the trash. I've told them NOT to give them my address each time I move, but invariably they do anyway. I've explained that Billy himself could come to my door and not convert me, so his magazine certainly isn't going to do it, but I suppose they have their hopes.

kms

Cyburbian
Pennsylvania Geology - quarterly, published by PA
Fine Cooking - read regularly, no subscription

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't subscribe to any (other than Planning, which is more forced than anything). But usually a cosmo, maxim, or some other trash rag will end up in the house from time to time.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Hockey Digest
FHM
Playboy (my wife reads it too)
Planning
Government Technology
Governing

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
National Geographic
Readers Digest (gift)
Scouting (for adult scout volunteers)
Planning ('nuf said)
BHG
and the absolute fave... Southern Living. You can never go wrong with a recipe from Southern Living.

Runner

Cyburbian
Bicycling
Metropolis
Planning
Runner Triathlete News
Sierra
American Rifleman

NHPlanner

Staff member
Mastiff said:

Too?! Who're you kiddin'?

She reads it... you look at the pictures!
My wife joked to me that she's gonna buy me the shirt with the bunny logo that says "I read it for the articles"....she laughs at me because I spend more time of the articles than the pics...then she gets it and goes right to the pictorials and starts making comments about whether or not the women are hot or not. :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
NHPlanner said:

then she gets it and goes right to the pictorials and starts making comments about whether or not the women are hot or not. :)
I have this Playboy reading ritual.

1. Find the rabbit

2. Go to the back and look at what used to be "The Celebrity Breast of the Month"

3. Read "Dear Playboy"

4. Look at the Special Pictorial

The wife loves to beat me to the mail box and find the rabbit before me, drives me nuts.

jmf

Cyburbian
I subscribe to:

This Old House
Canadian House and Home
Style at Home
Plan Canada
a variety of philatelic related journals (I'm such a geek!!!)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:

My wife joked to me that she's gonna buy me the shirt with the bunny logo that says "I read it for the articles"....she laughs at me because I spend more time of the articles than the pics...then she gets it and goes right to the pictorials and starts making comments about whether or not the women are hot or not. :)
Sounds nice! Mine would do that, too... Only she is very critical. I used to talk about the assistant on Law & Order, the one before Angie Harmon. Then SHE saw Angie...

"This one is much prettier than the other one."
"Yeah, but she's married to a New York Giant..."
"So?"
"I'd just feel so dirty."
"Fine. Doesn't matter, you can't have her... I saw her first."
"Huh?"

NHPlanner

Staff member
Mastiff said:
Sounds nice! Mine would do that, too... Only she is very critical.
I didn't say she wasn't critical....we almost ended up in an argument over the January issue....with the playmate review and voting for PMOY....she was dead set against the one I was going to vote for, and told me that if Miss October didn't win, then she wasn't going to read Playboy anymore..... :)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
NHPlanner said:

I didn't say she wasn't critical....we almost ended up in an argument over the January issue....with the playmate review and voting for PMOY....she was dead set against the one I was going to vote for, and told me that if Miss October didn't win, then she wasn't going to read Playboy anymore..... :)
Looks like you have a campaign to run!

NHPlanner

Staff member
Mastiff said:

Looks like you have a campaign to run!
A call to any PMOY voters....keep my wife reading Playboy...vote for Teri Harrison for PMOY! :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I've dated too many feminists. I could never have a playboy in the house. Then again, maybe if I started dating lesbians....

My dad was a playboy subscriber - I might have been the only 9 year old that could tell you what a Russian was in Mrs. Reeve's fourth grade class. And he didn't leave them out, kids just have a way of getting into EVERYTHING (including the paperbox hidden in the back of their closet).

Habanero

Cyburbian
Shape
Gourmet
Real Simple

I usually pick up other magazines in the store, but my gym has a great selection so I read everything while I'm on the elliptical trainer.

el Guapo

Capitalist
KMateja said:
I might have been the only 9 year old that could tell you what a Russian was in Mrs. Reeve's fourth grade class.
Ya lost me? You mean a Red or a Ruskie?

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Planning
Journal of the American Planning Association
Journal of Planning Education and Research
Newsweek
Time
National Geographic

My mother doesn't want me to forget my southern roots so I get:
Southern Living
Texas Highways

Sounds pretty darn nerdy.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Older thread, progessively rehabilitated by Professor Bear.....

In the mag rack:

Consumer's Reports
Reason
Libertarian News
Business Week
Industry Week
Lake Superior Magazine
People (for the wife, but I read the book and music reviews)
Playboy
Rolling Stone
Model Railroader
Material Handling Magazine
Warehouse Planning Magazine

Bear Looking At the Printed Word

tsc

Cyburbian
Sail
Practical Sailor
Planning
Handyman
Better Homes and Gardens
American Journal of Occupational Therapists (for the other half)
Family Circle
Yankee

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
Subscribe:
Wired (have ever single issue back to #1)
Atlanta Magazine
Dwell
Also I get some IEEE-CS related stuff that would bore you

Sometimes I'll pick up Men's Health if I see an interesting article on the cover. I also pick up Jezabel (Atlanta yuppie society magazine) if there is a stack of free copies at the conceirge desk. Once in a while I'll see Metropolis at a newstand and pick up a copy, though I was rather annoyed a few months back when they were going on and on about some project in a northern European country and the skyline picture was obviously Atlanta.

Wulf9

Economist
Bicycling
Utne Reader
Planning
MacWorld

I also read most of the popular car and computer magazines at the magazine rack whilst Ms Wulf is shopping.

spokanite

Cyburbian
Buy/Read regularly and should subscribe:

Fine Homebuilding
Fine Woodworking
Fine Gardening
Dwell

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
After years of not reading most of them, most of the time, I cut it back to the two best: National Geographic and Natural History. My father-in-law sends us the Economist on top of that. The last two to go were The Mother Earth News and Backpacker.

biscuit

Cyburbian
You people are allowed to keep magazines around the house? Wow! Most of mine get tucked away to make room for the wife’s large monthly buys. The bathroom and the magazine racks scattered through the apartment are stuffed with periodicals like Veranda, Southern Accents, Better Homes & Gardens, Architectural Digest, Vogue, and just about any other interiors or fashion magazine you can think of. Lucky for her, I don’t take up a lot of space and only subscribe to a couple of publications. Such as…

Pittsburgh Magazine
Readers Digest (gift)
South Carolina Wildlife
The occasional purchase of Maxim, NME, and/or Utne Reader.

The issues of Planning and Urban Land come to the office so there’s no need to for me to get them at home.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Subscribe: Real Simple (have every issue, sad, I know)
Really should subscribe and save $:
Budget Living
Backpacking
Cooking Light
Budget Travel
Outdoors
Sometimes Gourmet or Bon Appetit
BBC Good Food
Used to subscribe: Saveur. Gave it up when, about a month and a half after I renewed, they started sending me increasingly hysterical invitations to renew again--"Final offer! Six subscriptions for only $80!!!Sign up now!!!!" Got too irritating, so I ignored them and eventually they all went away. :-D

zman

Cyburbian
Well, I will add:

The Hockey News
ESPN
Powder
Skiing
Orion
Men's Health
Planning
JAPA
5280 (Denver's Yuppie Mag)
Architectural Digest

The One

Cyburbian
here goes....

Mad Magazine (just saying what the rest of you cowards are affraid to say :-0 )
Cracked Magazine (just saying what the rest of you nerds are affraid to say :-0 )
The Onion
Economist
whoops, wrong list....those are the magazines I buy at the news stand every month, but should subscribe with to save some $$$

Planning
American Demographics
Saudi Aramco World
GeoWorld
ArcUser
Planning and Environmental Law (Journal)- GREAT :-}