• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your Nobel Prize for all around goodness.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Ok, we have covered who you would punch in another thread. Here is the yang. Who would you give a huge cash prize and world-wide recognition to? Someone who has done something wonderful in your eyes. Family members are ineligible.

At Christmas we just had a local story of these two boyscouts who spent all last year collecting bottles and cans for refunds and raised over $4K, which they then shopped the afterholiday sales and bought $10K worth of new toys for the Toys for Tots. The story made me cry, it was just such a nice thing.

I can't really think of a famous do-gooder.

BKM

Cyburbian
Why, there can be no contest. The only source of wisdom in the world, the fount of virtue:

KIM JONG IL, THE GREAT LEADER :)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
The mayor of my hometown, who actually went against the City Manager's recommendation to move forward with City policy that encourages both rehab and new construction for affordable housing projects. With the rents and home values in NH so high, and the majority of new development in the region being lower paying retail, I think it was a bold and encouraging move in a state with major affordability issues, and towns that don't want "those people" living in their communities. Excuse me....based on my salary and the formulas used around these parts...I AM THOSE PEOPLE!

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Excuse me....based on my salary and the formulas used around these parts...I AM THOSE PEOPLE!
OOh..isn't that inferiating (did I spell that right?) I just tell people that when I first started at this job I was one of 'those people' too, and explain to them what the income specs are and it usually shocks the heck out of them. I figure if I can shove some tolerance down their throat, why not.

Ok, on to my nomination....my first thought was my grandma, but then I read it couldn't be a family member...ok, I can't think of anyone. Sad huh....

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
Awww!! I'm sure she'd appreciate it. She's going to be 90 this April and gets around like a 60 year old (seriously). Her response when you ask her what she's been up to - "Everyone I can". Ok, so it doesn't really make sense, but its still pretty damn funny. She is seriously the best person on this planet - I'm naming my first daughter after her.

Not to be schmaltzy, but today I think Rob deserves a Nobel prize. This morning he had to learn how to give me daily injections and he did an awesome job, despite him being a needle-phobe, just because he didn't want me to have to do it myself.

*end glurge* :)

kms

Cyburbian
OK. I choose Rob, too. Outside of your family, and mine, I choose a former co worker who goes out of his way to help people in need, to the end of staying in a rather low-paying job (complared to what he could earn) so he will ahve th time to help.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I would nominate the nice old man at the local Esso station. Even though I'm cheap and never park at the Full Service pump, he comes out and pumps my gas and washes my windows just so I won't get my work clothes dirty.

el Guapo

Capitalist
statler said:
Michael Moore in all his glory.
I'll get me coat.....

;)
Statler -Is this the kind of thing you want haunting you for life? This is going on your Permanent Record! ;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ok this is selfish but it was the most touching gift. my first christmas after i left my ex husband i was broke, scared to death, my mother had died the year before and i was spending my very first christmas alone. i was near suicidal *sp?*

2 folks went out of their way to make my christmas good

1) Mary Beth she came up to me at work on day saying she had cleaned out her closets and thougt there was some nice stuff in there i could make presents from for others-wicker baskets, candles, bath stuff etc. they were not used or old it was all a box of brand new stuff i could put together for small gifts. i cried so hard at her kindness and trying to downplay it

2) another friend Paul that same christmas i was so missing my family and sister i had not seen in over a year that he surprised me and flew her to NC from alabama for 3 days. while she was with me he treated us to a nice dinner, a shopping trip to get our family gifts etc. he was jewish but he found out out fav christmas record *the carpenters* and played it in the car the whole time and sang the songs with us. it was wonderful.

those 2 people get my award.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Officer Collins of the .(not important) Police Department. For giving a guy a break when he realized how bad of a day I was having. He chose not to make it worse, and has forever changed my life in ways I couldn't even begin to explain.

*end mushiness*

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mike DeVuono said:
Officer Collins of the .(not important) Police Department. For giving a guy a break when he realized how bad of a day I was having. He chose not to make it worse, and has forever changed my life in ways I couldn't even begin to explain.

*end mushiness*
Did you ever let him know? If not you might. He may be more inclined to do it again for someone else....

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The rules said no family members... BUT it didn't say I could nominate myself.... but to keep the ego down, i won't. :D

I'll nominate all of the Israeli men who prefer to go to jail that go murder palestine inocents (and some terrorists) in their own land, that they(Israeli troops), with the use of firearms try to take away form them.

For the ones that think I support palestine kamikazees, read below to see the answer in my sig. OF COURSE I DON'T SUPPORT THEM!, but neither do I support Israeli butchers.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My last boss who dared to tell developers "Hell no", protected all his employees and believed in us, and regulations be damned, gave everyone a hug on Christmas Eve. He worked way longer than he should have, medically, with diabetes and for the last few years, couldn't feel his feet, because he wanted to be in public service and make a difference. Luckily he is now enjoying retirement.

Jeff

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:

Did you ever let him know? If not you might. He may be more inclined to do it again for someone else....
Yes,

I've kept in contact with him periodically whenver I go back to the college town.