• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your one wish....

OK, Your planning fairy godmother comes twinkling down out of the sky to grant your dearest planning wish for the place you live/work. What do you wish for?

Mine: a sea change in attitude for our elected officials and planning board that we do not have to accept the crap that applicants hand us. We can do so much to change our community for the better, make it more pedestrian/senior citizen/child friendly through very minor site modifications and DO NOT need to kow tow to the almighty businessman (who somehow has connections to some uppity up) (sigh)

How about you?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
This is easy...

I wish for a few key department head retirements (but I'll settle for untimely deaths) so the parochial "we've always done it this way" mentallity disappears. **POOF** As long as it's still one wish and not the second, the new hires would be proactive, educated, and tech savy.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...I wish for all the wasteful bureaucracy to be done away with so tha - NO WAIT***POOF***

Darn.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Then again...

...maybe I just wish that I could hang a few of these around just for fun.

Old Thread Bump

I wish for a UNIFIED rebuilding plan that is based on CONSENSUS from every citizen and resident, not just the special interests of a select few.

Forget the rebuilding plan itself, I wish that New Orleans, actually the metro area, is rebuilt with all the bells and whistles and levees that makes a city ideal.

jmello

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
OK, Your planning fairy godmother comes twinkling down out of the sky to grant your dearest planning wish for the place you live/work. What do you wish for?
An immediate acceptance by all in charge that the roads are too wide, sidewalks and bike paths are needed throughout the city and downtown should be 100% more dense than it is now. Oh yeah, and public transit and walking should take precedence over automobiles.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
:-D Ohhh Good thread!

One wish... Automobiles in the US are used for Emergency Services, construction, and delivery only. Everyone else takes light rail, bike, passenger rail, air, boat, Segway, pogo stick, or their two feet! :-D

michiganplanner

Cyburbian
duh! When you get only one wish you obviously wish for more wishes.

Sorry...I'll think of something and get back to ya.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Sarcastic:

I wish for a few timely funerals... The Godmother knows which ones... ;)

For Real:

I wish the elected officials would trust & follow the recommendations of professional staff rather than micromanaging us (not just a planning thing here; it affects all departments). This one wish would cover all of our other issues.

You would swear that all of our elected officials were certified engineers and had FAICP after their names the way they treat the staff. One of many reasons I'm leaving...

Tide

Cyburbian
I wish money didn't speak so loudly to certain engineers, planner, and attorneys and they upheld their individual practices' ethics.

I also wish Architecture took asthetics into consideration like it was 80-100 years ago. Case in point is the smaller 3 and 4 story office or apartment buildings that were constructed in the downtowns and cities. They had thought and a certain artisanship to them.

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'd wish for less drug abuse and more help for the mentally ill. These are the two worst things holding my City back from prosperity.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I wish for a Best Buy, a Barnes & Noble, a Bed Bath & Beyond, an Outback Steakhouse, a Red Lobster, and a Hooters. :-c :6: ;-)

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I wish for $300,000 to fall into my possession, so that I can use it for startup capital to begin developing and managing real estate.

CosmicMojo

mendelman said:
I wish for $300,000 to fall into my possession, so that I can use it for startup capital to begin developing and managing real estate.
Find an investor through your job connections.

I have a friend who learned about development since he was a practicing landscape architect, got to know developers through his work, and then approached one of them with a business plan. He invested and now my pal is one of the top urban renovators in town, turning old warehouses into upscale apartments.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
CosmicMojo said:
Find an investor through your job connections.

I have a friend who learned about development since he was a practicing landscape architect, got to know developers through his work, and then approached one of them with a business plan. He invested and now my pal is one of the top urban renovators in town, turning old warehouses into upscale apartments.
Yeah, that is the realistic way, but having no investors would be ideal.:-D

CosmicMojo

mendelman said:
Yeah, that is the realistic way, but having no investors would be ideal.:-D
Well, you just need them for the first few projects. Once you get some cash and some success you can show a bank you don't need the investor any more. Sure, if you get a developer to invest, he'll want a lot of input. If you could find a doctor (they always have money looking for a holding/growing place), he won't know anything about development and be a silent partner.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
my wish:

a well-thought, well-researched and COMPLETED thesis/final project with my name on it.

jmf

Cyburbian
An employer who is willing to go out on a limb and hire a permanent employee (part-time is fine, actually preferable) rather than living from contract to contract.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Elected and appointed officials, and county managers/department heads who are not obscenely cozy with the developers.

And maybe no more meetings?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Poof!

One major city in the USA, not in the top 10 in population, now has a significant system of monorails (as modeled after Japanese cities). These monorails do everything that a system of expressways do.....feed the central city, ring the metro, and cross east-west and north-south. Good access from most anyplace in the metro.

The stations are a combination of modern, functional, and all have ample parking and the neighborhood nearby is filled with retail, restaurants, bars, etc.

Maybe Minneapolis/St. Paul? Cleveland? Denver?

Bear, Using His Wish For The Betterment Of A Mobile Society

DetroitPlanner

Cyburbian Emeritus
illinoisplanner said:
I wish for a Best Buy, a Barnes & Noble, a Bed Bath & Beyond, an Outback Steakhouse, a Red Lobster, and a Hooters. :-c :6: ;-)
I've seen your red lobster at spring hill and your bed bath and beyond on Golf near Woodfield. If ya ask me, any man that wants to shop at bed bath and beyond is probably a Log Cabin Republican.

jaws

BANNED
To summarize the wish everyone expressed so far: I wish people weren't such people.

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
DetroitPlanner said:
I've seen your red lobster at spring hill and your bed bath and beyond on Golf near Woodfield. If ya ask me, any man that wants to shop at bed bath and beyond is probably a Log Cabin Republican.
Hey, now...you gotta get your vegetable choppers, bottle openers, and pillow cases somewhere! And Spring Hill is a dump and quite frankly there's not too many seafood restaurants around here and Woodfield is 45 minutes away. And hey, it's tax dollars for the village!...and possibly a salary increase for me!

mgk920

Cyburbian
illinoisplanner said:
Hey, now...you gotta get your vegetable choppers, bottle openers, and pillow cases somewhere! And Spring Hill is a dump and quite frankly there's not too many seafood restaurants around here and Woodfield is 45 minutes away. And hey, it's tax dollars for the village!...and possibly a salary increase for me!
I would say a Crate and Barrel here in the Appleton area (we've already got all of the ones that you've listed). :-D

Seriously, though, my one big wish would be to abolish township government in Wisconsin, this as a part of overall major local government reform.

Mike

hilldweller

Cyburbian
I'd wish for our elected officials in my city to have an environmental conscience, or at least a college degree for that matter:(

safege

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Poof!

One major city in the USA, not in the top 10 in population, now has a significant system of monorails (as modeled after Japanese cities). These monorails do everything that a system of expressways do.....feed the central city, ring the metro, and cross east-west and north-south. Good access from most anyplace in the metro.

The stations are a combination of modern, functional, and all have ample parking and the neighborhood nearby is filled with retail, restaurants, bars, etc.

Maybe Minneapolis/St. Paul? Cleveland? Denver?

Bear, Using His Wish For The Betterment Of A Mobile Society
Miss a few days in Cyburbia, and you will miss alot. Retro thanks to Bear.
:D :D :-D

My wish is that any politician who doesn't read Cyburbia, at least the serious main section, will not be re-elected. Any and all political parties, no exceptions.
:a: ;-)