• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your Opinions Please

In your experience do you think it would be better to have an undergrad degree in planning and a graduate degree in something like environmental science or the other way around, bachelor of environmental science and a masters of planning? Trying to decide my future and any thoughts would help.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I suppose it depends on your career goals. Are you anticipating being a planner or something related ? As someone in the hiring seat, I would prefer someone to have the "related field" in their undergrad studies, and planning in thier masters studies, but that's just my preference.

I am interested in a career as a planner and would like to have some knowledge of environmental issues. If I decide on a Masters of Planning degree, I would probably end up at Florida State University and specialize in Planning for Developing Areas. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I agree with bturk. And a lot depends on how far you are into undergrad studies.

You can always pick a speciality in planning grad school by course selection and thesis topic. Ha! My thesis was on secondary education planning, and the closest I got to that as a career was to marry a teacher.

If I were you, I'd get my undergraduate degree in something else, and save the graduate degree for planning. You can always fall back on your undergrad degree if planning doesn't pan out as you had expected.

kguru

Cyburbian
JasonG maybe you could get a Bachelor's in Environmental Science and then go into planning. I am myself going through a similar decision process of what my studies will be exactly focusing on before going to graduate school.

smalex

Undergrad in planning

I am in a similar situation. I've opted to do planning first. Why? Because it will give a specific education early on compared to..say environmental science that is 4 years and lots of electives. I think you get the best of both worlds this way.

ecofem

Cyburbian
I would do an undergrad in something else and get the master's in planning. FSU's program in planning for developing areas is very, very good. They offer the unique ability to go into the Peace Corps as part of the master's program. (Of course, I'm biased. I graduated from FSU's DURP.)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I would agree with Ecofem. Of course, there is a downside. You will find it harder to get that first job without a planning degree (assuming you will work before getting the masters).