• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your Planning Magazine?

What do you do with your Planning Magazine

• I take loving care of mine and keep them on display in my home.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have them in my office and well organized.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • One is next to the toilet right now.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • They are somewhere in the office, house or car.

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • I pitch the darn things right away after a quick look at the centerfold, wait, wrong magazine.

• I read and reread them often.

• I rarely open them, let alone read them.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I shower with mine!

• I steal the ones I am missing from my fellow planners.

• I have every one ever published.

• I read and mock the articles.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I read the articles and become even more excited about my profession.

• Mine are in a secret underground vault that is hermetically sealed

• Mine absorb Parrot doo one page at a time.

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Well? What do you do with your Pravda?

NO (Multiple Choices Allowed In This Poll) . -I tried it and it didn't work - Sorry.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Fish Wrap

They really are mostly useless though.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I used to read them all the way through, but have become dull and uninspiring as of late. I have read one article in the last 4 issues and only beacuse it was about Monona Terrace in Madison, WI. It is a very dull publication. Urban Land is much much cooler!

I think they need a new editor. I would recommend Bob Guccione, Larry Flint, or Hunter S. Thompson.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
They're like National Geographics ... you can't throw 'em away, even though you might never look at them again.

You know, every year I have intended to sort 'em, and file them away by year. Now, though, I'm thinking about taking them all to the recycling bin. Planning seems like 40% real content, 30% kudos and editorials, and 30% ads. It's okay. We rag about Planning, but I don't think I could create a better publication.

El Feo

Cyburbian
You know, for a magazine put together for planners, it's the most embarrassingly boring and poorly designed magazine. There are high school newspaper staffs that are putting out more attractive, pertinent and well-written publications than this.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planning Magazine is actually well-liked in my office (I'm the only one that gets it, and then I pass it around). I usually peruse the edition and see if there is anything interesting. The articles are a lot better than some of the stuff I get from the CIP journals (ick). I still learn a lot more from Planetizen or other online planning sources (and they are a lot more timely!)...

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Its a poorly written, poorly designed, anti-business and anti-development rag.

Now if Planning had a "Hot Pyscho Planner of the Month" feature, then MAYBE I'd treat the magazine with a little more respect. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
El Guapo, maybe you should email the editors and let them know we are discussing their rag!

LOL

el Guapo

Capitalist
OK

Want me too? Really. It couldn't screw my career up any more than it is now to have all of the FAICPers pissed at me. Consider it done!

APA MAG
If you're like most Americans, you're looking for ways to make your community more livable. You want to curb traffic congestion and manage growth . . . to eliminate pollution and make housing more affordable. These are the challenges planners face daily. And now more than ever, planners aren't the only ones turning to Planning magazine for answers. Every month thousands of people—professionals and interested laypeople alike—read Planning to learn how innovative planning programs and techniques are reshaping America's communities.

Sylvia Lewis
Editor and Publisher, Planning Magazine
American Planning Association
122 S. Michigan Ave., Suite 1600
Chicago, IL 60603
312-431-9100
312-431-9985 Fax
PlanningMagIdea@planning.org

How does this read?

Dear APA
Your magazine is being discussed on Cyburbia.org Come see what the great unwashed think about it.

El Guapo

Say the word - Dare me to hit send - come on ********* ***** ********** Chapter of APA - Do you feel Lucky? (The names have been changed to protect the innocent.)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I actually read most of the latest issue...first time in about three years.

I don't know precisely when it changed, but some time ago the articles went from practical planning advice/case studies written primarily by practicioners to more general articles written by professional writers. And my interest has waned ever since.

Anybody need copies of articles back to 1974? I've got most of them....somewhere.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I was bcc'd on the email, and saw it appear in my inbox before I returned to see the posts.

I was MORTIFIED.

el Guapo

Capitalist
The APA has no cloths.

So many people complain yet never do anything about it. Why not let APA know that people don't feel that they receive value for their membership, that they couldn't charge as much for dues and get away with it if most members paid out of their own pockets or that the magazine appeals to only a few of the FAICP crowd. What about the rest of us?

No one says anyhing - I have never read a letter in Planning magazine nearly as critical of the APA as the stuff I read here everyday. What about the AICP test this year? Should APA roll along thinking no one noticed they were jerked around by the test and the delay in grading.

APA needs to take a look around here and see what people have to say. Not that that would result in any change in the organization. It is not service oriented.

I could go on...but it wouldn't matter.

Even if they do look around they wont change a thing.

Now what, do I look for a horse head in bed tomorrow?

Jeff

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:
Well on that note.....

APA...could you please stop using the really glossy paper in your magazine, the bird crap and piss runs of it when I line the birds' cage with it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Face it

Until there are alternative professional memberships we'll keep paying APA whether they suck or not.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Mr. Dunn, You are going to have to come down to the station and answer a few questions.....

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I wrote a letter to the editor in April, I think, critical of a slanted anti-Bush enviro piece. They did print it.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Atta Boy

That was you - You rule dude. But alas no invite to the GALIP mixer was forthcomming was it?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I agree that for the money my employer pays for me to be an APA (and now AICP) member, I do not get squat. Ok, I get discounts on overpriced books and 4 page "Zoning News" publications, but where is my money really going? Lobbying efforts by the APA? Research that I still have to pay for? A lousy website with no substance? A crappy magazine that is 1) Too short 2) Too irrelevant, and 3) Lacking real information that planners can use.

The magazine needs a major overhaul. They need new and improved (and more) sections, features, opinions, etc. They need a new cover design. That BORING white cover with the dumb circle may be their "style" but even classic magazines like Rolling Stone and Sports Illustrated change their covers every once in a while.

I look at what people discuss on this website and realize that this is the stuff that is of most interest to planners. I have learned more from discussion threads on here than I ever have from that magazine. Planning magazine seems intent on focusing on what their writers feel like writing about, not what their readers want to read about.

Of course that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

El Feo

Cyburbian
Want in on a secret?

I didn't renew last year. Ten months later, and they still apparently don't realize it. I've called and e-mailed a combined total of four times - thinking to save you PAYING members a little scratch, but they still can't seem to get it together and purge me from the system.

Sorry, 'cause I know I'm getting this wonderful magazine on your dime, but I've called the last time.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm a member for free, and it's still not worth the price...

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I was beginning to wonder if there was something wrong with me, that I tend to skip over most articles in the magazine. If I am lucky, I find one or two articles in each issue that I really find worth reading. Why can't Planning be more like Urban Land? Or for that matter why can't APA be more like ULI?

ULI took the issue of smart growth and championed it unlike any other organization. APA sat on the sidelines - oh, sure, they wrote the growing smart tome - but tell me that is really going to make a difference. APA is filled with too many ideological technocrats. I saw this when I was involved in re-writing the policy on wetlands. Comments on needing to balance community development and wetland protection? brushed aside. This is all too common. We need the kind of debate in APA, and in Planning Magazine, that we get on Cyburbia. Maybe a little humor as well.

biha

Cyburbian
We don't pay so we don't care

I too read Planning Magazine less and less, but feel guilty about recycling it. Rather, I delegate that task to my wife, who gets rid of it when the next issue arrives in the mail. A legitimate question, however, is how many planners would subscribe to the magazine if their employer was not paying their APA dues and it instead had to come out of a person's pocket. Planning Magazine's quality, or lack thereof, may be a consequence of most planners getting somebody else to pay their dues, and by default, their magazine subscription. If Planning Magazine had to compete for all of its readers via the private marketplace, I bet it would be a lot more fun to read!

Strangely enough, the Planning magazine is the only membership benefit besides the so-called discount conference rate (which is a joke) and constant ads for the PAS book service. It's cheaper to subscribe to the magazine rather than pay APA dues, especially if you don't go to the conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.