• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Your resume

What does it look like? Is it designed to stand out or is it fairly simple and word document only?

I usually update mine every few months so I don't forget anything but I think mine looks rather mundane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Several years ago, I paid a professional to help me draft my resume and a basic cover letter. Best decision ever! All the information was accurate, but it was formatted beautifully in Word and made use of italics and bold fonts to bring attention to key words. She also phrased things in a way that made them sound much more impressive than just "Prepared staff reports for public hearings." Most of what was on there when she did it initially has been revised, but I've kept the format she created and have worked to use her same descriptive style when I do updates to it.

That said, it would also be helpful to probably have a plain font version that could easily be cut and pasted into certain types of applications that require your resume to be typed into the online box. Formatting it after copying and pasting into those formats is a little bit of a pain.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I sent you a PM with a link to mine. It's not perfect, but I like it and maybe it helps whatever you're doing. I love looking at other people's resumes to get ideas of how to make mine better or phrase something more eloquently.

Thanks for the examples! I like what mine contains but after seeing those, I'll have to give it style at some point.

We should just start a super secret thread for resume exchanges.
Yeah, word smithing is key too. I recall one of my internships included verifying addresses by walking sections of the city. I had someone "help" with my resume. The result was something that made it sound like I was a very helpful street walker. Hilarious but not quite what I was going for in the long run.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Yeah, word smithing is key too. I recall one of my internships included verifying addresses by walking sections of the city. I had someone "help" with my resume. The result was something that made it sound like I was a very helpful street walker. Hilarious but not quite what I was going for in the long run.

That's just it. Home many ways can I say I review zoning stuff and site plans just like every other candidate. Can you review a BIG site plan? Yes I can. Can you analyzing zoning critically? Yes I can. Can you manage people? Yes, but then again everyone else can too and I just need to sounds like I'm better at it than the rest of you.

I am updating my resume and I was wondering if anyone had any templates or examples that they would suggest.

For right now, it is a basic clean format:

Contact Info
Employment History
Education History
Planning Skills Set
(Specific planning skills set tailored to the job that I am applying for)
and Other general skills (To show that I am well rounded)

Also if I could get a couple of people to look at it, I would appreciate it.

dvdneal

Cyburbian
I've got the contact info in the header
Work experience
Quick job description
Couple bullets of big accomplishments
Skills
Bullets of my skills, wolverine hunting skills, ninja skills, etc.
Education& Certifications
Affiliations (APA, State flood stuff, etc.)
Military Service

I've got the contact info in the header
Work experience
Quick job description
Couple bullets of big accomplishments
Skills
Bullets of my skills, wolverine hunting skills, ninja skills, etc.
Education& Certifications
Affiliations (APA, State flood stuff, etc.)
Military Service
Should I mention that I was an assistant den leader for my kids Cub Scout pack, and a combat hot air balloon pilot?

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Definitely the combat hot air balloon pilot. That will get a lot of interviews. Maybe no hiring, but a lot of interviews.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
I keep an "unabridged" version of my resume that is about 4 pages long (includes various achievements in each position, etc.). I pull information from that to create a custom better designed resume for whatever position I'm applying for, based on the skills I think I need to highlight. I'll also use it as a source to throw extra bits into a cover letter.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
At 60 years old & 25 years experience at one planning job - should it be up to date ?

Otis

Cyburbian
I'm over retirement age. My resume says "Don't give me any sh!t. I've got my bags packed and I'm ready to go."