• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Miscellaneous 🤷‍♀️ Your Season of Choice

Which season do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I always prefer this time of year with fall on the horizon and hope to see it if this wildfire smoke will clear. However, betting on poor foliage color this year due to drought conditions. The enjoyment of the season is not because of everything pumpkin spice (there are a few of you) but because of the cooler air, the trees changing on the mountains, and the end of summer heat. The transition from summer to fall is more enjoyable to me than winter to spring even though the temperature of each at some point can be shown on a Venn diagram. If fall exists year-round, I want to be there. I will settle for the Swiss Alps, however.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I really like having four seasons, so I'm well situated in my current environment.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I live in a place that only has two seasons, summer and not summer. Summer lasts about 6-7 months. I prefer the 5 months when it isn't summer.

kms

Cyburbian
I don’t prefer winter. I like being outside and not freezing cold.

I used to love winter.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
If it snowed more here, winter would prevail hands down. It doesn't, so fall is the choice. I detest summer here because it often feels like I'm encased in hot cotton candy. Spring brings with it the very real threat of tornadoes, so no thank you.

Sweater weather year round would be sweet.

Reactions: JNA

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Mid-Spring in the Great Lakes region is ideal. Warm(er), but no bugs outdoors yet.

FWIW, I also don't suffer from seasonal allergies, so...

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
I want to say Fall but to be honest I'm voting Spring.

Cool, no bugs yet, sunshine, and most importantly, earlier sunrises and birds. I love being someone who wakes up early but I have a really hard time with that in Fall.

zman

Cyburbian
Fall is it. It is legit.

Dig out the hoodies and the heat of the Columbia basin subsiding...

...but then there's all the wind...

EsquireHare

Cyburbian
My birthday is near the Autumnal Equinox (which is just around the corner) and so I love the fact that many people prefer Fall, and have September and October as their favorite months.

But I do not live in a place where there are 4 seasons. We only have Summer and Rainy Season. Sometimes people also throw around Typhoon Season (@_@).

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I wonder if there's a correlation between time of day and seasonal preferences? So do people who like morning tend to gravitate more towards liking spring, whereas those who prefer the evening like fall?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Last month, I lived in a two-season location -- hot (7-8 months long) and less hot (the rest of the year). I had gotten used to it.

Now having moved back north, I'm back in a locale that has all four seasons. I am excited and have spent several lovely evenings outside around a bonfire already. But I'll also admit that I'm cold. I may need to go shopping for some warmer clothes...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Last month, I lived in a two-season location -- hot (7-8 months long) and less hot (the rest of the year). I had gotten used to it.

Now having moved back north, I'm back in a locale that has all four seasons. I am excited and have spent several lovely evenings outside around a bonfire already. But I'll also admit that I'm cold. I may need to go shopping for some warmer clothes...
But remember mid-January.

sean-bean.jpg

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
But remember mid-January.

sean-bean.jpg
Right now (perhaps with rose colored nostalgia), I feel like I will be able to handle mid-January like a champ (once I buy some warmer clothes). Now, if we're still having this conversation in mid-March (and I know we will be), I may be singing a different tune...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This one is hard. There are elements of every season and climate that I enjoy. I went from one extreme to quite a bit on the other side of the pendulum in my life.

Growing up, I saw snow at some point in my youth at least once every month of the year, just not all in the same year. I have seen when the bank clocks read -40 and the only thing that changed was the C or the F (Being that close to Canada they show both). I have seen whiteouts and blizzards where it was measured in feet per hour.

On the flip side, I now live on a place where I have gone hiking in shorts on Christmas day and "Winter" lasts a few hours. Snow is removed with a broom if the sun does not get to it first. However the heat and humidity register in the tropical range for a good part of the summer and you bring a coat when you go to dinner not because of the outdoor temperatures, but the AC temperatures inside.

There is so much I love about my current climate that range from the plant choices for the garden to the front porch on fall evening in shorts and t-shirts with a cold beer. Swimming in the ocean and not turning blue and knowing that you don't have to shovel. Pool season really lasting all summer (and then some), and back yard barbeques without ridiculous mosquitos. Not having to bring a sweatshirt to Friday night football games and spring ball starting in March.

Sure, I enjoy the novelty of the cold crisp mornings when they happen, or bask in the task of scraping the frost off the tuck's windshield with a AAA card because I don't own a proper scraper, but they are just that, novelties, and not a way of life anymore.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This one is hard. There are elements of every season and climate that I enjoy. I went from one extreme to quite a bit on the other side of the pendulum in my life.

Growing up, I saw snow at some point in my youth at least once every month of the year, just not all in the same year. I have seen when the bank clocks read -40 and the only thing that changed was the C or the F (Being that close to Canada they show both). I have seen whiteouts and blizzards where it was measured in feet per hour.

On the flip side, I now live on a place where I have gone hiking in shorts on Christmas day and "Winter" lasts a few hours. Snow is removed with a broom if the sun does not get to it first. However the heat and humidity register in the tropical range for a good part of the summer and you bring a coat when you go to dinner not because of the outdoor temperatures, but the AC temperatures inside.

There is so much I love about my current climate that range from the plant choices for the garden to the front porch on fall evening in shorts and t-shirts with a cold beer. Swimming in the ocean and not turning blue and knowing that you don't have to shovel. Pool season really lasting all summer (and then some), and back yard barbeques without ridiculous mosquitos. Not having to bring a sweatshirt to Friday night football games and spring ball starting in March.

Sure, I enjoy the novelty of the cold crisp mornings when they happen, or bask in the task of scraping the frost off the tuck's windshield with a AAA card because I don't own a proper scraper, but they are just that, novelties, and not a way of life anymore.
One of the things I brought down was a metal blade scrapper. The few times a year I have to use it, it comes in handy. I also brought down a snow shovel and a couple of winter coats. Both of these don't get much use.

I was able to drive to work with the windows down for the first time in about 6 months. It was nice but the 60 degree temps felt a little chilly.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
One of the things I brought down was a metal blade scrapper. The few times a year I have to use it, it comes in handy. I also brought down a snow shovel and a couple of winter coats. Both of these don't get much use.

I was able to drive to work with the windows down for the first time in about 6 months. It was nice but the 60 degree temps felt a little chilly.
This morning was terrific. We opened up the sunroof, all the windows, and the back slider on the truck to let the 57 degree breeze flow.

A buddy from back home in the UP had a bit of a surprise when he moved down here. Turns out the movers did not understand the instructions regarding a pile of stuff that they were not to load up. It included a snowmobile, snow blower, and several shovels. He had to rent a trailer to bring them back up north.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Spring & Fall

Like Gedunker not summer - some days it feel like you are in a sauna steam bath or a steamy convection oven.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This morning was terrific. We opened up the sunroof, all the windows, and the back slider on the truck to let the 57 degree breeze flow.

A buddy from back home in the UP had a bit of a surprise when he moved down here. Turns out the movers did not understand the instructions regarding a pile of stuff that they were not to load up. It included a snowmobile, snow blower, and several shovels. He had to rent a trailer to bring them back up north.
I have a pair of Iverson snow shoes that are hanging on one of the walls as decoration. They will probably never be used again except as decorations.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a pair of Iverson snow shoes that are hanging on one of the walls as decoration. They will probably never be used again except as decorations.
If ever you feel the need to dispose of them let me know.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I appreciate and to some extent enjoy all the seasons. Winter demands the right frame of mind. In the upper Midwest, it can really get you down if you let it.

My favorite is fall, with cooler, clear weather, changing leaves, and football. Weather like today.

Wait, it's supposed to be 94 this weekend.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
I know what summer that is NOT the season of choice...Summer. This summer has been hot and miserable in NW Ohio with no end in sight. It's supposed to be in the 90s from Sunday to Tuesday. I am so sick of this 90s crap.

I realize that I don't have it as bad as those living in the path of hurricane Ida and the drought and fire stricken West or unrelenting heat in the Pacific Northwest earlier this Summer, but who knows what may happen. I bet far more people are dying of heat related illnesses that any other type of whether event.

But it's the overnight lows that get you. Unlike in winter where you can always put on an extra coat or blanket to warm up, there is absolutely nowhere to go in the summer. The unrelenting heat means that air conditioners in many parts of the country will be cranking out day and night from May to October in this part of the Midwest, when back in the old days you could simply open the windows after the sun went down by this time of year.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Spring & Fall

Like Gedunker not summer - some days it feel like you are in a sauna steam bath or a steamy convection oven.
In Coastal Georgia, the summer days can be best described as walking into a bowl of soup.