• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your strangest friend

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
A thread spin off of your strangest neighbor.

I have this friend we'll call Mike that I went to school with since 5th grade. He didnt get his drivers license till be was 20. He was the only one legal to drink in high school (he hit the grandfather clause the year legal age was raised from 18 to 19, and hit it again at 19 to 21). This benefit was completely lost on him. He still avidly reads and collects comic book, and looks strangely like the comic store guy from the Simpsons, but without the pony tail. He has the world's most noticeable case of psoriasis.

He went off to college. Found a gal that was more miserable than him, and now they live together. She doesnt drive and has her personality is made up entirely of phobias. Despite 7 years of college he never got a degree, and now works as a clerk at Hollywood Video. *sigh* At least he's happy.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have many strange friends... I seem to attract them or something. One of my oldest friends (and the strangest I think) is my friend Rich. Rich and I have known each other since the seventh grade where we met because we had an argument about whether Boba Fett was actually dead or not. But anyway... Rich has always been a little different.

His chosen profession was originally juggling, where he easily made more money than I did when I was a professional planner in California. He still juggles professionally, but his new passion is glassblowing... and he now has his own studio/shop called Atomic Glass in Berkeley, CA. (Okay, the fact that he lives in/near Berkeley ought to tip you off a little ;) ). He also was one of the founders of the Monkey Wrench juggling troupe and the Start Trekkin' improvisational theatre based on old Star Trek episodes that ran for several years in S.F.

He's a hoot to hang with and I'm glad I have him around in my life (although unfortunately I haven't seen him in many, many years).

Here's Rich:

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Eats raw potatoes, and cold peas out of cans. Is always competing with his wife to see who can weigh less. Made up a list of "wife" qualifications in college and married the first woman he met who met his standards. Have seen pictures of him from college and he has never aged (he's 50 and looks exactly the same). Tells his wife everything other women say to him, and does not allow any women (other than his wife) to touch him.

Geez, I hope he doesn't post on Cyburbia...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have this friend Jason that seems to float in and out of my life. We were good friends in high school, but he was always a bit strange...may have something to do with taking lots of drugs. In speech class sophmore year we had to give a three minute impromptu speech on a picture that the teacher handed out. He got this picture and talked about it for 30 seconds. The teacher said he needed 2 1/2 more minutes so he just stood up there and said nothing for the remainder of the time.

I didn't see him for 6 years after high school then I ran into him and his girlfriend at a bar and he wouldn't leave me alone for the next year or so. He would just stop by without notice, even when I had plans. Then he just disappeared again. Then I saw him about a year ago and he started calling me again. Luckily he didn't know where I moved to, so I didn't have the unannouced visits.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I don't have strange friends...but I have several loser friends...

Perhaps another time and place for this discussion.

donk

Cyburbian
I think i may be most of my friends weird friend, but here are a few of mine.

GG (his initials and nickname) he is 100% or nothing. I know him from bike racing, he is either training and winning local and regional races or has no interest in biking. When he lost interest in biking about 6 years ago, he moved out west, took up snoboarding and lived as a snowboard bum at whistler for about 2 years. This 100% or nothing also goes for school, he has been in university for almost 8 years (on and off) and has barely finished 2nd year. What happens is he takes a course, finds out he loves the topic then takes lots of other courses on that subject, but always forgets to look at the requirements for a degree, then gets sidetracked to another topic (engineering, geology, astronomy,forestry). I think he is on his fourth major without a degree. This 100% also goes to partying. Once he starts consumming you cannot stop him and dare not try to keep up with him.

Then there is my friend who is a professional 19 year old, while being 32. He returned to his childhood love of motocross racing after dumping his wife of 5 years and is now dating a 23 year old and living like a teenager. (flop house apartment, job with no future/responsibility, thinking of going to college, but is not sure if he wants to)

My room mates and friends from university were pretty weird too

Vizzi (nick name) was like pig pen. He never bathed and always stunk. When he did shower it would take about 15 minutes and you could not tell that he had justshowered. his famous line was "I don't give a f*** about anything, except my mom." (seriously)

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Revival...

I am trying to think of my wierdest friend...and sadly, I think I may be the wierdest one in the bunch.
But while I'm thinking, I thought I'd throw this old thread out there for others to comment on. Discuss!

BKM

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
I have many strange friends... I seem to attract them or something. One of my oldest friends (and the strangest I think) is my friend Rich. Rich and I have known each other since the seventh grade where we met because we had an argument about whether Boba Fett was actually dead or not. But anyway... Rich has always been a little different.

His chosen profession was originally juggling, where he easily made more money than I did when I was a professional planner in California. He still juggles professionally, but his new passion is glassblowing... and he now has his own studio/shop called Atomic Glass in Berkeley, CA. (Okay, the fact that he lives in/near Berkeley ought to tip you off a little ;) ). He also was one of the founders of the Monkey Wrench juggling troupe and the Start Trekkin' improvisational theatre based on old Star Trek episodes that ran for several years in S.F.

He's a hoot to hang with and I'm glad I have him around in my life (although unfortunately I haven't seen him in many, many years).

Here's Rich:

Atomic Glass is fantastic! If that is "Strange" then we should all be so strange.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, I know this guy who is a good friend, and quite a bit older than I am (but that is not difficult), grows his own egg plant and other veggies, brews his own beer, was in a very impressive branch of the armed forces, has a similar job, does voices on the radio, not much of a fashion sense, contains an obscene amount of knowledge, and a bizarre sense of humor.

Messed up part is his cubicle is next to mine, and has almost 2700 posts!

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
donk said:
Then there is my friend who is a professional 19 year old, while being 32. He returned to his childhood love of motocross racing after dumping his wife of 5 years and is now dating a 23 year old and living like a teenager. (flop house apartment, job with no future/responsibility, thinking of going to college, but is not sure if he wants to)
You are friends with my EX????:-c ;) :a:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What is this "friend" you speak of? :-(
I wish that was just a joke... Oh well...it's best to be alone than with bad company... :D

jordanb

Cyburbian
I used to know a guy who liked to steal parking meters, used a vintage 1995 cell phone (like what Zach Morris used to use), and a Tablet PC, and he was allergic to glutin. He was also about 7 feet tall.

otterpop

Cyburbian
donk said:
I had a friend like that. He was always the guy who was ahead of us. He was the first to live with a girl (while still in high school!), first to be a parent (stepdad to the woman he moved in with), first to marry, first to finish college, first to have a real job and the first to own a home.

He got divorced and reclaimed his youth. Chased teenage girls, drove a taxi so he could have a job that would pay for drugs and women but still give him time to goof off, alienatated a lot of his old friends by being a sleeze and trashed a house he was renting (which belonged to his berst friend. He went from a stand-up guy to someone who just didn't give a sh**.

He turned himself around. An old girlfriend was dying of a terminal illness and had no one. He moved into her home in Florida and took care of her until she died. he was still livng in Florida when he had two heart attacks in the course of a week and died.

Redemption came, but too late. :(

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Atomic Glass is fantastic! If that is "Strange" then we should all be so strange.
I can't believe you know of it! Atomic Glass isn't so strange... he's just a funny dude himself. I think the Start Trekkin' improvisational show would be the strangest part about Rich (an improv group that recreates Star Trek episodes).

I also have a friend who is an ex-call girl. She's an interesting friend (always has good stories)!

kjel

Super Moderator
My strangest friend is a former professor of mine. I refer to him as the "Mad Professor" and my daughter calls him "Dr. Hurrrumph". He is 40, can't seem to commit to teaching in one place more than two years. He reads Plato just for fun, aspires to become the Salman Rushdie of the United States (and get a fatwa issued from Pat Robertson), swims outside in the middle of winter, writes Southpark questions into his exams. He eats more chocolate than any woman I know and thinks nothing of spending $60 on a small box of tea. He has an affinity for needy and greedy women as well.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Eats raw potatoes, and cold peas out of cans. Is always competing with his wife to see who can weigh less. Made up a list of "wife" qualifications in college and married the first woman he met who met his standards. Have seen pictures of him from college and he has never aged (he's 50 and looks exactly the same). Tells his wife everything other women say to him, and does not allow any women (other than his wife) to touch him.

Geez, I hope he doesn't post on Cyburbia...
I thought I was your strangest friend.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
You almost qualified when you started wearing the purple hat.;) But my vote still goes to the other guy who, by the way, is the MPO director at another jurisdiction. You transportation planners! :r:

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
sisterceleste said:
Zoning Goddess said:
You almost qualified when you started wearing the purple hat. But my vote still goes to the other guy who, by the way, is the MPO director at another jurisdiction. You transportation planners!

Whew. I thought it was me. :e: :h:

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I'm smart enough to know that if I described the strange things you do, I'd probably also be incriminating myself...;) :-D :-c
Tell us more. You can't leave us hanging like that.:-D

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
I have a black friend who moved up here from the South cause apparently he got kicked out of school for doing something anti-Confederate. He lived with his aunt up here and graduated from high school with me. I always used to give him rides to the driver's license facility in high school and elsewhere cause he didn't get his driver's license til after high school for some reason.

He's not a troublemaker as you might suspect. The nicest kid you will meet. Very diplomatic in dealing with people and the like. However, he is very vocal in his opinions and can turn some off with his obscure viewpoints. The kid is also quite a geek...gets good grades, loves comics, video games, etc. He is also the most liberal person I know. Probably more liberal than most of the people on here, if you can believe that. Nevertheless, the friendship always makes for good, healthy political debates and discussions.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Leave it to RJ and ZG to give us the Jerry Springer's Florida Edition. ;) :p
Where is script writer Maister on this ? ;) :p

Richmond Jake

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Leave it to RJ and ZG to give us the Jerry Springer's Florida Edition. ;) :p
Where is script writer Maister on this ? ;) :p
Please don't encourage him to develop any more goofy arse ideas. Please? ;-)