• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Your Web Savy

Your Web Savy

• Java is for sissies. I'm way past that.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I can muddle through Frontpage if you make me.

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • I can point and click.

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • What is the web you speak of?

• Other

• Total voters

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
After spending my weekend learning and writing Java code in order to put drop down menus on our dept web site, I realize just how big of a GEEK I really am.

So spill it. What's your level of web savy?

On a side note, how many of you administer your own sites?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I'm a point and click guy. OT, recently got hooked into eBay...and I've good deals on items purchased.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'm surprisingly illiterate when it comes to the web, despite having used it for many years now. I don't go to eBay, and the only thing I have ever purchased online was a book from Amazon and airline tickets. Now I'm trying Match.com. I have yet to put together a web page, despite a friend offering to teach me. Since he is now moving out of state, I don't think it will happen. I will remain ignorant.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I administer ours with Front Page. I could learn all of the cool stuff if I had time though, I learned PASCAL for cripes sake. Frontpage allows me to get stuff out there with very litle time invested so I use it.

http://holsteiniowa.org

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have a website that I built by stealing a template and a CSS (Cascading Style Sheet). I was excited to get it up and running, but I never update it or add anything. Maybe in the winter when I have more free time.

I can use Front Page, NAMO Web Editor (free and easy), and Adobe GoLive.

I have no clue how to use JAVA unless I copy and paste a script using Front Page.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I added "other". I can muddle through frontpage (but frontpage adds a bunch of useless html code, so I end up editing stuff in notepad anyway). I like doing pages from straight html when I have the time. I have not yet learned java, but I probably would "get it" if I took the class. So I'm in between a few categories there...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
point and click

So far,I have had no reason to learn anymore.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I use a variety of editors, but end up hand coding with notepad 99% of the time.

kms

Cyburbian
Definitely point and click. Funny, I am the internet expert in my group of friends, but not very computer savvy.