• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Yyyyeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I just came across this Web site. I'm sure the Republicans on Cyburbia will love it ... and maybe even a few Democrats, too.

http://www.deangoesnuts.com/

Howard Dean, it appears, is becoming a meme.

We're going to Enville, and Bora Bora, and DeNoc, and the town next door, and YYYYEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!!

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Does that speech remind anone else of this exchange?
D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the going gets tough . . . the tough get going. Who's with me? Let's Go! Come on! AAAAEEEEEGGGHHHH!!
Otter: Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons. But that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: We're just the guys to do it.

(does this bode well?, we did end up with senator blutarsky)

Jeff

Cyburbian
He really is a kook isn't he?

My new beef with politics is hair. Can't we get a politician who isn't afraid the stray from the standard "parted to the side" hair cut?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Jeff said:
He really is a kook isn't he?

My new beef with politics is hair. Can't we get a politician who isn't afraid the stray from the standard "parted to the side" hair cut?

donk

Cyburbian
Jeff said:
You'd rather someone have a comb over like Gerald Ford's? Now there is a man trying to hide something.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Honestly. I listened to the speech the night he gave it, and it was totally approprate for the croud in the room. The commentator on NPR didn't even mention it. She just said "that dosen't sound like the speech of someone who's been defeated."

Undoubtedly, somebody at some TV network saw that and thought "hey, we can blow this out of proportion and get ratings!" So they did, and then everyone else jumped in. The thing of it is, politicans have to expect that. The media hates covering complicated issues surrounding political campaigns so they pick little meaningless things like this and dig into them. A good politican can suck the life out of them before they get out of control. Dean proved here that he dosen't have that skill.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I find it interesting that before the Iowa episode, nobody ever mentioned Dean being "angry", but after it the media are all saying that one of the knocks against him is that he's angry. Somebody's holding something back.

el Guapo

Capitalist
You had a mild mannered man in the last election.

Ever since WWII the press has been reluctant to embrace a candidate that uses emotion in their stump speeches. Me, I like someone with passion, I like a speech where the candidate pounds the shoe, gesticulates like an epileptic, or uses terms like "we not allow the purity of our...” Dean goes up in my book by not cowing to the press and the PC commentators. And Dean is right we need lebensraum. Canada and Mexico are under populated.... wait did I just validate Godwin's Law? Crap! ;-)

jordanb

Cyburbian
Well. His big mistake was apologizing. He didn't do anything wrong, he shouldn't have apologized. Apologizing was like putting blood in the water.

Zenith

Cyburbian
Ummmmm, a bit in the dark here as I don't really know of Dean due to mostly a lack of exposure of him in the media here.

I just listened to "Howard Dean Remix" and besides being incredibly jingoistic and excitable, his words ablethem limited, seemed O.K. on social issues. So I guess I just want to know in a nutshell why some think he is 'nuts'. Is it the body language that goes with the speeches? I'm curious now.

Zenith said:
So I guess I just want to know in a nutshell why some think he is 'nuts'. Is it the body language that goes with the speeches? I'm curious now.
In a nutshell: I think it is the fact that he is running for office. Or perhaps it is merely a cultural heritage from the Clinton years and their "nuts and sluts" policy. (all 'trouble makers' immediately had a smear campaign aimed at writing them off as "nuts" or, if it was one of Mr. Clinton's many former dalliances, clearly she was a "slut"... but, of course, he couldn't possibly have been a cheap whore. Oh, no, just all the zillion women he slept with were.)

jordanb said:
Well. His big mistake was apologizing. He didn't do anything wrong, he shouldn't have apologized. Apologizing was like putting blood in the water.
That's a very astute observation. I have no idea what went down -- I rarely follow politics -- but I would agree totally.

Zenith

Cyburbian
errr, mmmmaky, "nuts 'n sluts"! Dean is considered a bit of a relic left over from The Clinton admin. then and not having a stance of his own?

...and Michele Z. you have indicated hypocracies of smearers :-\

jordanb

Cyburbian
Dean dosen't really have much in common with Clinton. He's more socially 'conservative' in that he's pro-gun (primarily), but he's further to the left than Clinton on fiscal and trade issues. Clinton was very pro-trade and "pro-buisness." Remember, he campaigned in 1992 on NAFTA.

Dean is running for health care (he's a doctor) but he made a big splash by opposing Bush's war.

Dean's problem is that he isn't handling these media assults very well. He's done a bit better now though, maybe he's learning. Still, I'd rather not have a canidate learning the ins and outs of campaigning as he goes along.

Kerry's doing so well now because he's a Veitnam veteran. People think he can go head-to-head with Bush about foreign policy, except that he supported Gulf War II but he didn't support Golf War I.

Democrats are worried that Dean might be easily charactized as a liberal (which is a dirty word in america, espeically south of the mason-dixon line) because of his opposition to the war, his appeal among young, liberal college students (like yours truely), and the fact that he's from New England.

I still like Dean, but I'd go for Edwards as choice number two right now. I'm ambivalent about Kerry.

Zenith said:
errr, mmmmaky, "nuts 'n sluts"! Dean is considered a bit of a relic left over from The Clinton admin. then and not having a stance of his own?

...and Michele Z. you have indicated hypocracies of smearers :-\
I have no idea if Dean has any relation to the Clintons. "nuts 'n sluts" was the nickname that the "insiders" who worked for the Clintons called their strategy for dealing with people who were opposing them. Women who came out and said "I slept with him/he raped me/whatever" were painted as "tramps". I have a big beef with the fact such a stance would even have a snowball's chance in hell of working at all and it irks me that it so consistently work so well. But let's not go there. Anyone who couldn't be dismissed as a "slut" got dismissed as a "nut".

I was mostly just joking that "you have to be crazy to be in politics" , that's all. Listen to JordonB. He sounds like he actually watches the news. I don't. Watching the news is not compatible with my 'die hard optimist" lifestyle. Ever heard the song "dirty laundry"?

Last edited:

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Man, I have been loving those remixes! Been listening since I got the link from WSJ Online.

For the record, comb-overs should be oulawed.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Haha. I don't actually. I don't even have a TV.

I get all my news via the internet, newspapers, and NPR. But I have been following this election pretty closely.

FueledByRamen

Cyburbian
OMG!!!!

--Brand New All-Time Favorite--
Rapping It Up With Dean (Original Rap remix)
(Made by Zach Freeman and Jonathan Stokes of Austin, TX) AWESOME!!

I know those guys! They are friends of two of my best friends and lived above me freshman year! Yall should listen to the song. they are really bad rappers, but funny!

el Guapo

Capitalist
jordanb said:
Haha. I don't actually. I don't even have a TV.

I get all my news via the internet, newspapers, and NPR. But I have been following this election pretty closely.

Resolved: This thread has now met the minimum conditions of Chet's The Jordanb Law and we can all move along to a new thread. The intellectuals among you have just been bested by the classic double whammy of "No TV" and "I listen to NPR." A mention of "Linux being too good for the unwashed masses" would have completed the Hat Trick, but sadly no. We must survive our day having witnessed only a double play. Please kindly disperse from this thread and seek your stimulation elsewhere. I believe that there is a streaming radio broadcast of All Things Considered on Andres Duany talking with Howard Dean about Superstring Theory and Gentrification in Managua Nicaragua at www.wksu.org, hosted by Michele Norris. Move along now...

^o)

Zenith

Cyburbian
@ freewaytincan. Indeed, comb-overs should be outlawed. We've had our fill in Australian politicians past and present with the dreaded comb-overs too!!

BTW As pointed by FueledByRamen, "Rapping It Up With Dean" (Original Rap remix) albeit not so long i.e. like 1 minute & it indeed sounded great. I listened to it 3 times and I got the gist of it. Thanks for that insight FueledByRamen icon14.gif .

So, Jordan, you don't "watch" the news, instead you "follow" the news. "details, details". I get most of my politial news from living with a political junkie -- who happens to be out of town for an extended period. Secondarily, my sister has a degree in journalism and is a "newshound" and forwards me all kinds of crap via e-mail. Some of it is stuff I am actually interested in and grateful for and she is my sis and I know where my Delete key is, so I don't give her a hard time about spamming me.

At the moment, I am blissfully oblivious to political news because, in addition to my husband's lengthy absence, I am getting every detail of my sister's battle with her daughter' school, which is taking all her time and, for once, she is not trying to educate me about The Issues. (For fun, she and my husband tend to be diametrically opposed when it comes to the candidates they like/vote for/whatever.)

However, if you are a homeschooler, I have The Inside Scoop on the latest update on a good site for homeschoolers (cuz I am friends with the webmistress) and if you need to know something about asperger's and how to deal with such kids, I have cutting edge info/theories and loads of experience and I explain it well, and if you want to know something science-y -- well ask my 16 year old, cuz I mostly let his excited babbling go in one ear and out the other when he is going on and on and on about genetics or physics or some other "please just shoot me now, I didn't sign up for this, I was just trying to have a good time and YOU showed up" kind of topic... er, I think I am OT now. Whatever.

Later.