• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zommerang, anyone?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am looking at doing a market analysis for our city, particularly the downtown. Putting it online could really help to get a good response, as the local university will send it out via e-mail to 10,000 students and 1000 faculty and staff. IEDC has done a number of member surveys using Zoomerang, which appears to work well. Does anybody out there in the ether have experience with them, or others, that they want to share? Any other ideas?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I am looking at doing a market analysis for our city, particularly the downtown. Putting it online could really help to get a good response, as the local university will send it out via e-mail to 10,000 students and 1000 faculty and staff. IEDC has done a number of member surveys using Zoomerang, which appears to work well. Does anybody out there in the ether have experience with them, or others, that they want to share? Any other ideas?

From you post I'm gonna make a few assumptions, I'm kinda confused. I think you looking for a program that allows you to post or e-mail surveys.

If this is correct consider SNAP by the Mercator Corporation.

http://www.mercatorcorp.com/

My company uses this and it works pretty good.

Budgie

Cyburbian
We provide on-line surveys for community members as part of our public participation activities. You could have an on-line survey and e-mail the link.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
So its an online survey program that emails the surveys? Don't you have buy a list of e-mail accounts? (And yes I was seriously wondering what a zoomerang was to whoever deleted my first reply)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A little more information:

Zoomerang is a web site that lets users create a custom survey from their templates and drop-down menus. You then send your target market an e-mail with a link to the survey, or put a link on your web site. You can use your own e-mail lists, or you can purchase e-mail lists from them. They tabulate the data as it is entered and provide both a report and raw data which can be imported into a spreadsheet or database program. The cost is $599 for a twelve-month subscription, which allows an unlimited number of surveys, but you do incur additional charges after the number of cumulative responses exceeds 10,000.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Sounds like a cool program. Although, using an online polling method may be slightly exclusionary since roughly 40% of the general population doesn't have internet access. You beeing in a college town, however, the percentage of persons online might be much higher than that of the general public.

Whenever doing surveys in Appalachia I did everything from sending out survey forms in water bills to going door to door. The online method would would have been much simpler, had anyone actually owned a computer.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
To follow up on this discussion, doesanyone have examples of good market surveys? I am working with our Chamber of Commerce to send out a market survey to determine where people shop and what potential retailers we should try to recruit to the city, based on residents' shopping habits.

P.S., In case anyone tried to google it, I mis-spelled Zoomerang in the thread title.