• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zoning Zoning for ghost kitchens

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Are ghost kitchens the future of the restaurant industry?​

Guide to Ghost Kitchens (2020): All You Need to Know​

Do you list commissary kitchen as a land use ?

OfficialPlanner

Cyburbian
These "Ghost Kitchens" are becoming very prevalent in my neck of the woods. A small kitchen located in a low-rent area that exclusively relies on DoorDash and Uber Eats for business. I didn't know the term for these until now. I've been calling them fake restaurants because their physical address is hard to find.

There is definitely some cannibalization of brick and mortar establishments as the operating costs and price they sell their productions for are lower. It's the internet equivalent of a food truck parked in high-rent restaurant district, more or less.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member

Depends on what zone we’re talking about. Community kitchens aren’t uncommon around here. Historically, they haven’t been used as pseudo-reataurants, but rather as a kind of food makerspace or local food producer incubator. We don’t want to discourage them, because there’s a prominent locavore and foodie culture in the region, and DIY food-related businesses are an important part of that.

Health codes here don’t allow commercial food prep from residential kitchens. Residential kitchens are notoriously unclean by health code standards, and residential-grade ovens and stoves aren’t up to the task of commercial production.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Only have one we know about and it's in the industrial district and not open to normal retail customers, so I just called it 'light industrial' and permitted it by-right.

Analogous is another local wholesale finished food production industrial business we have in the industrial district that is easily 100 times larger and it's not a problem and a beloved locally owned and operated family company, so...no big whoop for the above small startup.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

Are ghost kitchens the future of the restaurant industry?​

Guide to Ghost Kitchens (2020): All You Need to Know​

Sounds like a zoning/health code violation to me.