• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Zoning for rural tourism

BCF

Cyburbian
I've been asked to look into amending our Z.O. to allow ranches in our ag zoned areas to rent out rooms to tourists. Currently they can have a bed and breakfast, but those don't allow offering 3 squares a day and allow no more than a 6 night stay.

Does anyone out there know of any zoning ordinances that have provisions for this sort of thing? So far I've found one county here in California that allows "Ranch Style Lodging" but that's about it.

Thanks

=Bob

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
Bob

I don't know that I've ever heard of that type of use other than the B & B conditional use. I don't think I like the idea of expanding it to the level you refer to with meals and extended stay. Maybe some expansion of the parameters of the B & B would be OK, but hotels or hotel type uses can get out of hand quickly.

How about a "dude ranch zone"?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Many, if not most, definitions of agriculture in the rural West allow guest ranches, which serve meals, etc. as an agricultural use. Sometimes its by-right, sometimes conditional. This is a legit and even necessary option in these days of low prices for beef and other ag commodities. It allows people to diversify their operations and thus helps limit conversion of ag land to other uses.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I agree with Lee. You could amend you B&B category, perhaps split it off with a ranch classification. To avoid the motel fear, have a stipulation that it be a working ranch, no significant new construction, limit the number of rooms to let, whatever works. This may help keep the family farm alive a little longer.

Otis

Cyburbian
I've seen it done for seasonal hunting and fishing camps, with a limit of no more than 15 rooms, only incidental retail sales (hooks and bullets, I guess). I like what Mike said.