• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Zoning ordinances that prevent sprawl?

Jerry Weitz

Cyburbian
Is there anyone willing to make the claim that they know of a zoning ordinance (on its own and without other additional growth management techniques such as urban growth boundaries or urban service boundaries) that has been effective at preventing sprawl? If so, I'd love to hear about it.

I ask this because I don't believe that zoning on its own has prevented urban sprawl anywhere, and further, that those that have curbed sprawl have succeeded because of the application of growth management techniques to supplement local zoning programs, with zoning doing very little to mitigate sprawl (except perhaps for the very large lot agricultural zoning techniques).

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
Jerry, you've hit upon one of my pet peeves with this one.

Zoning is a tool, I think it is a mistake to try to use this one tool to do all your work for you. If such a tool could ever be crafted, you wouldn't need planners or planning commissisons anymore. But that ain't gonna happen.

Tools work best whem they are crafted towards the process rather than an expected outcome. Attitudes change, and experience will provide enough different situations to prove that you just cannot anticipate every possible scenario to write a "sprawlbusting" zoning ordinance.

No one tool can accomplish such an objective. Here in Lexington, KY, we use every tool we can think of to shape development to conform to the community vision as expressed in the Comprehensive Plan. Urban Growth Boundary, Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, Bylaws, Board of Adjustment, Board of Architectual Review, even building codes all must mesh to effectivly address problems simple or complex.

Jerry Weitz

Cyburbian
Cool. I won't go into the reasons why I asked this question the way I did, yet I will say it pertains to small communities who are not going to adopt growth management tools, and possibly not even zoning but something less than that. I agree that growth management is most successful when a combination of techniques are used. I think (part of?) your message, Linden, reflects agreement on the point that zoning is unsuccessful on its own at preventing sprawl.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
The only way to curtail sprawl is for the citizens and officials to want to. It can be done through zoning alone (with a consistent comp plan) if the governing body does not approve inconsistent map amendments.

Vlaude

Cyburbian
I understand your point and agree with you to an extent, but do you know of any towns that have reduced or halted sprawl using only zoning, keeping consistent with the comp plan?

Any examples would be great from large cities to small towns.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Urban growth boundaries in Oregon are implemented through zoning consistent with the statewide goals. They are not a separate tool. They key is that, unlike what happens in other UGB schemes I have seen, which address only urban expansion, the Oregon system addresses land use outside the UGB just as thoroughly. My travels in Oregon suggest that the system works, though not equally well in all parts of the state. In the end it truly is a matter of political will. Oregon had it, and with the recent court rulings, we'll get to see if they still have it in 2002.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I would have answered: "Not past the next election or next WalMart proposal". Lee has been around more than me--although I might still be right.

In tamworth we have invested in the cbd, 1.5 km away 11,000 squaare mtrs of residention zoned land , now containing a scholl, is being sought to rezone to business to expand an existing shoppiong cetre thus affectin downtown business.
Any way we an stop this? The council has voted 5 to 2 for, other councillors cannot vote, as they have pecuniary interests.
regards,
rod richardson

John Morgan

Is anyone aware of communities that give tax credits for new businesses that reuse existing VACANT properties for establishing the new businesses? I am deeply concerned about the build up of new commercial properties while existing properties are vacant and available for use. I'd like to draft a county ordinance that gives tax breaks to businesses that move into vacant commercial properties. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.