• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Zoning term dictionary help (forwarded)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
(Email recieved from hanak (at) fanet.fa.cvut.cz)

Excuse me for this strange letter. I am working on an English - Czech Dictionary of Architecture and I would like to use there not only the
United Kingdom terms but also the American as well. Could you or your colleague help me with these terms?:
UK USA
planning permission
outline planning permission
full planning permission
building permission

I will be very gratefull for any (partial) REPLY.

Faithfully
Milan Hanak
Faculty of Architecture
Czech Technical University in Prague

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This is how I responded ...

> - planning permission

Several terms in the US and Canada --

"Zoning approval," "planning approval," "site plan approval" -- approval of a project by a planning agency, either through administrative review (without review and approval by a quasi-judicial board like a Planning Commission) or with the majority vote of the Planning Commission. (The types of projects that are approved either administratively, or by a Planning Commission, vary depending on the municipality.)

"Special review approval," "special use approval" -- many zoning codes define "special uses" that are permitted in a zoning district, but only with the approval of the municipality's Planning Commission.

> - outline planning permission

I don't know what this means.

> - full planning permission

Hmmm ... can you describe this a bit more?

> - building permission

"Building permit approval." If a building or structure is completed to the building inspector's satisfaction, a "certificate of occupancy" is issued.

I believe other English-speaking countries with a zoning-based land use system (Australia, South Africa, New Zealand) use some of the terms too. Of course, the UK will be different -- I'm not familiar with their terminology.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
You may want to try doing a search at www.municode.com. You can search many ordinances at once for these terms. however, I don't think that they are used very much in the U.S. perhaps the word permission has another translation? Approval?